KMC is the biggest municipality in terms of economic size in the country. The council is better administrative structured than any other council. For the effective operation of council’s day to day running, a Chief Executive Officer is recruited. He is the Chief Accounting Officer of Council.
Under the CEO are a team of Directors (Administration, Finance, Planning and Development, Internal Audit, Inspectorate and Social Services) as per the provisions of the Local Government Act 2002 and the Finance and Audit Act 2004. Under each of the Departments are Managers who head units. The Managers are supported by a team of field staff who are the main community interface.
Organogram of KMC (Admin and Political)
KMC and indeed other Councils are mandated to provide the following services after agreeing with the responsible government ministry/department and provided it has the capacity to do so:
- Establish and manage or encourage and ensure the establishment and management of educational services at the ECD, lower basic, upper basic and senior secondary levels in accordance with the Education Act and national policy guidelines,
- encourage the establishment of income generating and skills enhancing projects/programmes in these educational institutions,
- Take full responsibility for the management of existing schools in the KMC after its transfer through an order published in the Gazette by the responsible Minister and other functions prescribed by the responsible Minister;
- Provision of agricultural services (extension services and centres, promotion of research and planning, contribute to research funding, participate in policy planning and formulation, support producer associations and other functions as may be assigned by relevant authorities);
- Sustainable management of the environment and natural resources and any other functions transferred or assigned to it;
- Management of major health centres, sub-dispensaries, all primary health care services including maternal and child health services, distribution of pharmaceutical products and vaccines to health facilities and general hygiene and sanitation in accordance with the Public Health Act, related regulations and national policies;
- Establishment of Local Roads Authority for the upkeep and maintenance of secondary roads in accordance with the Roads and Highway Act.
- Provision of offices and other structures for work or related purposes;
- Acquisition (including compulsory acquisition), appropriation and disposal of land in accordance with the relevant act;
- Undertaking planning and implementation of development projects/programmes including the coordination of donor support and approval of all project agreements within its jurisdiction through the incorporation of ward development plans and involvement of its people;
- The establishment, registration, removal of members and dissolution of Village and Ward Development and Technical Advisory Committees.